Thursday, April 22, 2010

40k and competition

Is winning enough?

Do we play to have fun?

These questions I have continued to ask myself over the past year of playing 40K competitively. I have always been super competitive from the first day I forged my birth certificate to work early at 15 in high school because I wanted money. I realized young that if I wanted something to be aggressive at it. I surmise this was not an entirely postive learning experience as it has caused me to hurt others in the process. I do care deeply for almost every person I meet, but my competitive nature gets the best of me more than 50% of the time.

Winning is great, but I truly enjoy winning those close games more than crushing opponents. An example would be the guy that beat me so bad the first time I played 40K (twice back to back), I got addicted to making sure I learned the game inside and out until I could beat him. Now it took me 4 weeks to finally understand you cannot throw 30 terminators on the board and just think you can win. Thanks to Scott, and my competitive nature my skills improved to a capable level of competition. And even though he beats me at least 50% of the time, I feel lucky.

Fun is relative to your emotional feelings at any particular time and I really enjoy being with my gaming group on Saturday's to battle. I have realized as of late that I need to chill out and have a good time and bring less destructive army lists. I do feel I have a nack of making lists that are "super-competitive". That being said, besides the one game I wanted to try a 4 flyer imperial guard list to see it's affectiveness, which I feel horrible for, I have been trying to play to a more fun concept. I hope my friends will see a change as I desire to not be the guy no one wants to play because he has 4 runepriest with JAWS. {I have only ever had 2 :)}

Anyways I have determined that I need a change, (except at Ardz Boyz, and maybe a certain tournament where I hope a certain player will be there!), ..Where was I..oh yeah I need to change to realize it is a game.........to have fun.......with people you like to be with.

Thanks!!

3 comments:

  1. The Valkyrie list wasn't too bad. It will just stomp you down if you're not expecting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the best games I've had were against competitive people. It's a lot of fun to be able to discuss tactics and choices during the game.

    4 Vendettas? it can give some armies fits. but AV12 is killable.
    DeepStriking Land Raider Redeemers? what?!?

    I think fast BA's is going to be the new punch-you-in the gut so hard your mother feels it army. It made me consider trying WH 'counts as' BA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't need to tone it down completely. I have my lists that I bring to the FLGS to take all comers in a more friendly environment and then I have the Garage Fight club nights where my close friends and I turn it up a notch and try to break each other's best lists and tactics. It is in the garage that we become better generals overall because many times, it is a small mistake in a single turn that turns the game and we talk about thaose mistakes and we genuinely get better at the game. That's how we can go into the FLGS with the plan of "I built an army so bad that it actually might win" and then it does.

    ReplyDelete