Friday, September 10, 2010

Pure firepower. Guard or Space Wolves



VS








After picking up guard for the amount of firepower the codex has, then changing all my space marines to Space Wolves I have enjoyed playing both, but want to get a perspective on your thoughts as far as the best overall army as it relates to firepower.

When I started guard it is kind of funny because I fell in love with Colonel Straken and made a guard army that can fight in close combat. I added some firepower, but commonly used Daemonhunters to give me that punch with Straken. I then had a V-8 moment and realized all the incredibly powerful combinations that I had thought about such as the psyker battle squad in a chimera combined with Griffons. I looked at the Hydras and said, OH MY GOSH!!!! These are amazing. I fell in love with the ability to lay a tremendous amount of firepower with the vendetta's and the melta/chimera love the veteran squads give.

I then picked up the space wolves when they came out because I love assault and close combat. I started sharpening my skills with the space wolves using Ragnar and a lot of bloodclaws. They were fun, but not as successful as I would have liked. Just like the guard codex, I started really reading about the other units and saw the tremendous ability of different types of longfang units, thunderwolf calvary, rune priests in pairs, and razorbacks.

I made two lists I wanted to play at Ardz boys. One was guard and one was space wolves. I let my son play space wolves while I played my guard list. I was shocked when my son basically tabled me by turn 3 with the list I made. This was the first time I had been handed my butt with my mech guard list. I was stunned, and shook my head as it must have just been the dice. (I did roll horribly, and as always my son rolled extremely well). I didn't listen to my gut feeling to take the wolves to the semi's and took the guard. I only did mediocre and vowed to not play the guard for a while as I felt crushed with disappointment. I have since been working on painting my wolves, expanding their effectiveness, and becoming a space wolves expert. I am not there yet and learn something new every game. I recently added a typhoon speeder to my arsenal that served me very well in my last tournament thanks to a few games against Scott.

What are your thoughts on the two lists below?

Guard List-2000

Company Command Squad-3 meltas in Chimera

Veteran squad-3 meltas in Chimera
Veteran squad-3 meltas in Chimera

Infantry Platoon
PCS with 3 flamers
Inf Platoon with autocannon and Commissar
Inf Platoon with autocannon

Vendetta
Vendetta with heavy bolters
Valkarie with rocket pods

2 hydras
2 griffons (1 closed top)
2 Demolisher squadron-(1 with melta sponsons)

1 Storm trooper squad with 2 meltas

10 Psyker battle squad in chimera.



Space Wolves List-2000
Thunderwolf lord
Frost Blade, Runic Armor, Wolf tail talisman, Wolf tooth necklace, storm shield

5 Thunderwolfs
1 TH/SS
1 SS/CCW
1 BP/CCW
1 Bolter/CCW
1 BP/CCW and Melta bombs

Rune priest with Jaws and Murderous Hurricane

Rune priest with Jaws and Living Lightning

5 Grey Hunters with Flamer in Razorback with Twin Linked Assault Cannon
5 Grey Hunters with Flamer in Razorback with Twin Linked Assault Cannon
5 Grey Hunters with Meltagun in Rhino-(Rune Priest)
5 Grey Hunters with Meltagun in Rhino-(Rune Priest)

Landspeeder-Typhoon/Missle Launcher

Longfangs with 2 Plasma Cannons and 3 Multi Meltas
W /Razorback w-Lasplas

Longfangs with 2 LasCannons and 3 Missle Launchers
W /Razorback w-Lasplas

1 Predator with heavy bolter sponsons.




Both these lists are pretty powerful and have a lot of firepower. I am still leaning towards the space wolves because of the razorbacks and longfangs plus when the thunderwolves get to the tank line on turn 1 or 2, it is going to be pretty tough, unless the demolishers can take them out.

Thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. I think the space wolves win it for now. They can be more balanced, having both assault and shooting elements. Wolves are great cause they can fit many different playing styles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For straight shooty, I'd have to give it to IG.

    IG can put out more cheap guns than anyone. A Platoon with Heavy Weapons squads and a Commissar Lord are an easy way to have a huge blob, lots of Heavy Weapons that are Ld10.

    HWS's @75pts for 3 AC's is blisteringly cheap. plus you can have 5 in a platoon! 30 autocannon shots (plus the shots from the platoon squads) is a lotta dakka. Then you can give them orders to make them more effective.
    Throw on some chimelta vets, and they'll take care of your heavy armor.
    plus cheap tanks and vendettas makes IG the shootiest.

    of course, they take hits like daisy scouts.

    SW's are the Marine LR shoot champs. Probably the most versatile army out there right now. Much more survivable than any IG list. IG rely on blowing you out of the water before you can get to them, and wearing you down with weight of numbers.
    SW's can do both long and short range game.

    for Razor Rush armies though, I've still got to go with Blood Angels. They're the best at getting close and shooting.
    I'd like to see a BA Razor list take on the SW's.
    we may have to proxy that one sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! I played Grave Mind with his BA's. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My biggest issue with the IG is target saturation. I just can't get enough stuff close to multi-charge all those vehicles.

    Even if I do destroy some tanks, I wind up getting meltagunned to death by the units that crawl out of those tanks.

    ReplyDelete